Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Art of Seeing the Invisible

" Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally." David Frost

Success for many comes with determination, motivation, and hard work. Success is not merely built overnight but built over many nights, many days, many hours, blood, sweat, and tears. It is in the hours we work or practice a skill that we get closer and closer to obtaining the ultimate goal; the ultimate dream. For many, we are told that we "can't". As we move ever so slightly towards the direction we wish to be heading, we are told that there are too many challenges, too many obstacles in the way. And silly enough, we believe the voices nagging in our mind. But why? Life is about challenge! 

Recently, I was floored and quite honestly inspired by two of my friends who decided to leave everything behind, jump in a car, and drive across the country to Colorado. Now, their story is quite unique because they didn't necessarily have a plan. Their plan consisted of places to stay, places to see, and well, the possibility of finding an apartment upon arrival. Of course, their drive and determination landed them in Colorado with an apartment the very next day. It was in that moment upon hearing their news that I got to thinking about success, destiny, and well, to put in layman's terms, "Getting whatever the hell you want in life".


I have had many conversation's lately about success and goals. Although many of these conversations take place on a recliner on a porch with a glass of wine in hand, I can't help but believe that these little discussions are planting the seeds of success. After all, you must start with some sort of vision, some sort of foundation. I once read that vision in itself, is the art of seeing the invisible. Seeing the invisible? But wait, if something is invisible, you can't see it, right? Wouldn't that make more sense? Sensible, for the successful person, is not necessarily a word in their vernacular. If I have learned anything from being a Vector Marketing Sales Representative, I know that vision is truly an art and that incredible things happen if you just believe that they will happen. When I was a kid, I would have never imagined saying that in 2010 I will sell $3,000 worth of knives in two weeks. I also would have never imagined saying that I was a District Manager Candidate for Northern New England Region selling what else but....KNIVES?! Sensible, no.

A wise professor once stood upon his desk and said: "Do you know why I stand up here? Anyone?" A student then replies, "To feel taller!" The professor yells "No!" as he slams his foot on the desk. "Thank you for playing Mr. Dalton. I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way." As Mr. John Keating, played by Robin Williams steps off his desk in the popular film Dead Poet's Society, I couldn't help but wonder if perspective has everything to do with success.

Lately, my vision has become clearer and I am moving towards the direction of achieving my dream and my desire to be successful. As Mr. Keating suggested, we shall always look at things, and possibly ourselves, in a different way. Challenge, I am finding, is non-existent and I am craving the hardship and struggles of building my future. I am seeing myself as a more confident, more successful woman and I can't wait to tackle writing a business plan and building my dream. Life, ladies and gentleman is a ticking time bomb. Will you be the one to light the fuse, or will you wait for the explosion?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...