Thursday, November 8, 2012

5 Ways To Stay Motivated to Workout


"You'll never know your limits until you push yourself to them." 

I'm in a rut. Not a physical rut, but a mental rut. Everyday I argue with myself about going to the gym. I try to justify my workouts from the previous day as a good excuse to skip the gym all together. This inner battle goes on for about an hour before I finally agree to go. Once I am there, I am fine. I run my little ass off. 

Maybe it's the cool weather or the holiday treats lurking in my office. Maybe its the heavy sweatpants I throw on the minute I get home. Whatever it is, I am losing the mental battle to stay physically fit. 


If you too are losing motivation, here are 10 Tips To {Keep} That Body Moving:

1. Bring a friend
Sometimes all you need is a little pep talk or reminder from a friend of your fitness goals to keep you motivated. Hold each other accountable and lace up the Nike's. 

2. Update the Playlist 

Music is a very power motivator. Upbeat music can keep you moving longer and faster (especially if you are trying to crank out one more mile). 

3. Stop being so hard on yourself

I am very guilty of scrutinizing myself and my workouts. But this negative talk is actually hurting my workouts. Next time I step on the treadmill, I am going to focus on becoming a healthier person, not necessarily a thinner person. 
Even if I am running slowly, I am still lapping everyone sitting on the couch. 

4. Be realistic

Set attainable workout goals and again, don't be so hard on yourself. 

5. Do something for you, reward your progress. 

Some ideas: 
Keep a motivational money jar: Each time you lose a pound or workout, feed the money jar! Once it's filled, go treat yourself to something on your wishlist. 


Sore muscles? Treat yourself to massage. 

Happy Hour Readers: How do you stay motivated to hit the gym? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...