Monday, May 23, 2011

Learning to Trust

I have come to believe that with age, comes a sense of self worth and maturity. It appears, seemingly overnight, as the moon disappears through the clouds and the sun whispers a faint "Good Morning" welcoming the new day. Suddenly, the life you envisioned becomes an ever pressing reality that leaves you breathless. 

This morning, I felt it. I awoke with such emotion and vigor that I couldn't help but smile. As the sun illuminated the bedroom, everything became pristine; clear. It felt different. Even the air, the cool morning breeze, left goosebumps across my sun-kissed skin. The roses, although slightly wilted, seemed bigger and brighter. I realized  I've been hiding; afraid to pinch myself as if my surroundings were actually that of a dream. I was afraid to believe; afraid that the glimmer of hope would fade. 


There he laid, content within the depths of his dreams, oblivious of the music that streamed from the alarm. Possibly in protest; a silent refusal. As I watched the rise and fall of his masculine chest, I realized that I have never been happier. How often in life do fairy tales come true, I wondered, shifting the weight of my body. 

My answer appeared moments later as he lovingly positioned his body close to mine. The fairy tale was not that of a glass slipper, a prick of the finger, or a long coma-like slumber. The fairy tale was an understanding; an awakening that gave me a sense of revival. I had been afraid, but he was there when I needed him to hold my hand. 


Learning to trust...learning how to open my heart.



 
This photo was retrieved from "The Bottom of the Ironing Basket"

Why this photo?
I was struck by the beautiful simplicity of this photograph...
Reflective
Peaceful
Assured.

{The fairytale...is the one you create.}

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...