Friday, January 25, 2013

Anna Burns Welker vs. NFL/Social Media

I'm probably going to get hell for this post, but I am going to write it anyway. To all my New England Patriots Fans, I'm sure you watched the disappointing Pats/Ravens game this past Sunday Night. The game in essence, was a disaster. There's no denying that the team did not play their best, and the loss was extremely frustrating and irritating to say the least. With emotions running high, the gorgeous Miss Anna Burns Welker, wife of my future husband, Wes Welker, posted this comment on her personal Facebook page:

"Proud of my husband and the Pats. By the way, if anyone is bored, please go to Ray Lewis Wikipedia page. 6 kids 4 wives. Acquitted for murder. Paid a family off. Yay. What a hall of fame player! A true role model!" (Source)

Poor woman.

She obviously didn't think about what she was saying because she got thrown into the elusive lions den of social media. Almost instantaneously  she was ridiculed by the media for speaking the truth. Sure, her comments were in poor taste, but is she wrong for speaking the truth? Why is the NFL continually trying to deny the acts of these wealthy athletes?

Take a look at the news headlines. Murder-suicides. Dog fighting. The list goes on.

Here are the facts according to the Boston Globe : "Lewis was charged with murder in 2000, and he ultimately pleaded guilty to misdemeanor obstruction of justice in exchange for testifying against two other men. The case is-legitimately- something sports historians will take into account when the assess his career." (Source)

With that being said, why did everyone jump on her like she was the person who killed someone?

The following tweets I found on Twitter:

"Athletes need to control their "outspoke" wives/girlfriends. Anna Burns Welker, nobody cares what you have to say. #shuttheffup." @IamEricVincent.

"Anna Burns Welker is the reason why athletes wives are better seen and not heard." @H8MeeNow."

"Anna Burns Welker...get my wings, stay off Twitter, and STFU." @MANamongtsBOYS_

Wow. Here's another goody:

"I mean didn't Anna Burns Welker get everywhere in life because of her chest-just don't speak." @patrick_trouve

I'm sorry, since when were women not allowed to speak? The world is changing gentleman, we no longer have to fetch you a sandwich and "STFU" when we are upset. Good lord, the woman's only sin was bringing up the criminal case and expressing her opinion. A writer for the Boston Globe agrees: "She might have been ungracious, but that's still a healthier attitude for the sports wold than denial."

But in true lady like fashion, she apologized.

"I'm deeply sorry for my recent post on Facebook," she said. "I let the competitiveness of the game and the comments people were making about a team I dearly love get the best of me. My actions were emotional and irrational and I sincerely apologize to Ray Lewis and anyone affected by my comment after yesterday's game."

"It is such an accomplishment for any team to make it to the NFL playoffs, and the momentary frustration I felt should not overshadow the accomplishments of both these amazing teams."

Anna, you did nothing wrong. I applaud you. And I am sure other women can agree.

Thank you to the true role models in the NFL. We need more of you. 


Lucky girl. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...