Thursday, January 20, 2011

Unopened Love Letters

"In a book in a box in the closet,
In a line in a song I once heard
In a moment on a front porch
In a breath inside a whisper beneath the moon

There it was at the tip of my fingers
There it was at the tip of my tongue
There you were and I had never been that far.
There it was the whole world wrapped inside my arms.

And I let it all slip away."
Rascal Flatts- Words I Couldn't Say

I will never forget the moment he took my hand, and asked me to dance. Although we were engulfed in a dusty, old attic, the subtle romanticism of the moment created a dream-like luster that will forever remain in my mind. The three minutes that we were wrapped in each others arms, swaying to the music that seized to play, were some of the best three minutes of my life.

Although, it has been nearly 5 years since I stood in that attic with him, I can't help but look back with feelings of regret. The bond that he and I shared was unlike any I had ever experienced and even though I knew how I felt about him, I never told him. Time and other factors got in the way of me saying what I truly wanted to say. With that being said, do we truly ever say what we want to say? Or do we bottle it up and hold on to it until it is too late? Is there ever a "right" time to blurt out those three scary little words?

Because I don't necessarily know the answer to this question, I am going to do something brave: I am going to post the love letter I swore he would never read. In doing so, I hope others can muster the courage to let that special someone know how they feel. There's nothing more exhilarating than uttering what you have held captive in your heart. Yes, it is risky. Yes, it may make your stomach fill up with nervous butterflies. But, if there is one thing I have learned about life and love it is this: IT AIN'T EASY SWEETHEART! :) So just do it! We miss 100% of the shots we DON'T take. Don't follow in my footsteps and miss your chance. Although he and I have since moved on in different directions, it's kind of nice to just get it off my chest! So here it goes:

    "If I could write you a letter, I'd tell you everything. I'd empty my heart on this very paper. I'd fill you in on my deepest secrets and dreams. I'd let you see the real side of me. If I could write you a letter, I'd tell you how I really feel about you. I'd tell you that I haven't been able to stop thinking about you since I met you. That my heart skips a beat when I see you. That every time you hug me- I don't want you to let go. I would tell you that I compare you to everyone and how they don't measure up. That at night, I dream of you. If I could write you a letter, I'd tell you that our times together I can't seem to forget. I'd tell you that it was all the little things and really...the little things. The way you look at me, the way you would wrap your arms around me when I wasn't looking. I'd tell you that I will never forget that kiss--ever. I'd tell you that I loved the way you always wanted to dance; how your romanticism amazed me. I'd tell you that I love you."

...I am not going to lie, I thought this was going to be a lot easier, but revealing ones emotions leaves you feeling vulnerable. Really vulnerable. But since I started, I have to finish. I just need a glass of wine or two to summon the courage to hit "post". Luckily for me, it's your turn.

So often we are afraid to do or say something because we fear what others may think. Maybe, it is time to stop being so afraid. So please, take the time and share your unopened love letters. I would love to read them. And if you are still a little hesitant, I will leave you with this quote:

"If you were going to die soon and you had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say? And why are you waiting?"
Stephen Levine


1 comment:

  1. Tina! I didn't know you wrote so well my lovely cousin! I love the beginnings of your blog, you have an amazing way with words and I can't wait to read your future posts!

    While I don't have any love letters to share I do want to say that I agree in that we need to take chances sometimes when it comes to the heart. And while it may not be easy, its best to let things happen as they are intended to because you'll always be left wondering if you don't take that leap of faith with your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...