Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Society Sucks

Where do I start? I am enraged; disgusted. And it starts with this photo:


{"Thinspiration" found on Pinterest}

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels..."
"It's always better to fade away into nothingness than to have a cheeseburger clog your arteries..."
"I don't care if it hurts, I want to have control, I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul..."
"If it tastes good, it will kill you..."
(Captions on the photo above)

I have to stop myself before I boil over in rage. This is the message that we are sending women. We are told that we must be skinny, have a "perfect" body, to be a "cookie-cutter" version of what society longs for. But why? Why is this the message? It is entirely unattainable; and entirely disgusting. "Fade away into nothingness..." What happened to muscle? What happened to strength? When are we going to start accentuating the positive and all that a woman has to offer? And more importantly, when are we going to start revealing TRUE beauty? I guess with that being said, I have a series of confessions I'd like to admit.

Confession #1: I have thunder thighs. They are packed with muscle that have carried me 60 miles to support breast cancer. Everyday they strut confidence in 5" red high heels. They have carried me through countless four-mile runs, Waltz routines, and 8-hour workdays in front of a blackboard teaching 8th graders. The truth? I am not ashamed of my thunder thighs as long as they keep me moving, motivated, and inspired. 

Confession #2: When I sit, I have a roll around my midsection. Despite my better efforts to obtain what society calls the "ideal", this same roll around the midsection carries me through 75 sit-ups a day. The same roll around my midsection is canvased with creativity and art. I am not ashamed to lift my shirt to reveal the tattoo that means so much to me. That same roll around my midsection is going to be the safe harbor for an infant one day. The truth? I am not ashamed of what society calls a "muffin-top". Speaking of muffins...

Confession #3: I have cellulite. Yes, cellulite. Society has told me that this is "disgusting" and that there are creams and procedures to get ride of it. There was a time I believed them. I concealed my legs with long skirts and pants. After all, cellulite is "dreadful." But you know what, I am not ashamed of my cellulite. It acts as a cushion; an insulation. I don't get as cold in the winter! ;) Sure it could be a result of too much wine, or too much pasta, but you know what? That date night where I overindulged? It will remain one of my fondest memories. The truth? I am not ashamed of my quote-on-quote dreadful cellulite.

Confession #4: My body is a machine. It does not quit because I refuse to eat. It is strong, muscular, and completely imperfect.

Marilyn Monroe once said that "Imperfection is beauty"....when are we going to start believing it?

When are we going to start thinking "Healthy" is the ideal?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...