Friday, September 2, 2011

The Wallflower; The Lonestar

 "People think that your soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you change your life."
{Unknown}

I was the wallflower; the lone star. I stayed silent in fear of being too loud; too out of place. Truthfully, I wore a blanket of self perceived inadequacy; a wardrobe of doubt. Tirelessly I fought the urge to spontaneously combust into a thousand tiny pieces revealing my true inner self. After all, who would be there to pick up the pieces?  I feared rejection. There I stood, paralyzed.

Then as fate would have it, I blossomed. I no longer feared being the wallflower; the lone star. What changed? Possibly age...possibly maturity...possibly the people I will call my "family" for the rest of my life. 7 years ago, I met my soul mates; the people that physically made me strip down my wardrobe of inadequacy and for that I am eternally grateful. 

A mirror for many, is a scary, shallow place. It reveals to many, what we would like to ignore. But my friends, were not going to let me continue down the path of self-loathing. As I stared at my reflection, they forced me to verbally compliment myself. At first it was excruciating. For a minute I searched the mirror for answers, silently. Then suddenly...I spoke.

Although the gesture was simple, it made a profound impact on who I am today. They helped me become more assured, more confident...they made me feel beautiful. I was no longer the wallflower...the lone star.
 

Happy Hour Readers: Who has helped you become the person you are today? 


{Mirror Image compliments of pinterest}
 xo Kristina xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...